Uses Of Stones For Civil Engineering, Construction & Buildings Purposes
Stones have many beneficial uses. When it comes to civil engineering and construction purposes, stones have the following general uses:
1) Stones could be crushed for civil engineering works. Crushed stones have the following uses:
(a) They are used as coarse aggregates or basic inert materials in concrete.
(b) They are used as railway ballasts.
(c) They are used as building blocks and for making artificial stones.
2) Stone masonry is used for the constructions of foundations, walls, columns and arches.
3) Stones are used for flooring
4) Crushed stones are used to provide base course for roads. When mixed with tar, they form finishing coat for roads.
5) Stone slabs are used as damp proof courses (DPC), lintels and even as roofing materials.
6) Stones are used in the construction of piers and abutments for bridges, retaining walls and dams.
7) Stones with good appearance such as polished marbles and granites are commonly used for the face work of buildings.
8) Stones are used for the paving of roads, footpaths and open spaces around the building.